Wednesday, 27 January 2016

a year of moments


Nyon at anchor in Army Bay
This past year was not a year filled with adventures for us. At least, that’s what I thought when I first looked back on the last 12 months. What are adventures but moments of heightened awareness and fleeting rushes of excitement. I certainly feel most adventurous when I’m thrown into new environments, or forced out of my comfort zone. I also like to write about what that’s like. Judging by the very few times I’ve written in 2015, it appears that I find it more difficult to write about the small, ordinary moments of a more static lifestyle.

What I’m realizing after having been an expat for the past 2 years, is that if I spend a lot of time waiting for the next big adventure, then the present time begins to feel like limbo. I have finally grasped that being still and opening up to what is, is when the real adventure commences; it’s in that space that creativity can find room to expand. I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to come to that conclusion.

Following, is a collection of moments that captured my imagination in 2015. Sometimes simply paying attention is better than any escapade and more powerful than a lovely turn of phrase. And that awareness is a gift in itself. 

Waipu Beach, on a perfect day

Human connections

Working as a team
Meaningful work with
the R Tucker Thompson Sail Training Trust
(I'm in the green t-shirt)

Blissfully quiet morning at anchor

Family time

Rick's Birthday Sunset

The neighbourhood

Winter morning walk to work

The sacred post-anchoring beer in Rere Bay





2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...