Saturday, 22 March 2014

same song, different verse

Early days on Nyon
I’m an adventurer, but I do love cozying up in a blanket with a good book. I’m a nature lover, yet I relish immersing myself in a large city’s energy, the galleries, cafes, the gritty neighbourhoods, the whole-in-the wall shops… I can be the life of the party or a wallflower, it depends on my mood. Of course, I can talk your ear off but I’m just as happy spending a day by myself with my music and a sketchbook. And I’m a voyager yes, but the homebody in me is never far off.

One of our biggest projects
I started writing this blog as a way to explain to our loved ones the crazy adventure Rick and I had just begun. We had bought an old wooden sailboat and had started refitting it. All the while, we were rambling about going offshore with it. We were going to sail off into the sunset, that’s what we told anyone who would listen. I sometimes wonder whether people believed us. But I kept writing, and we kept dreaming while spending hours, weeks, months, fixing our old boat. That was 7 years ago.

Last glimpse as we
left Canada
If you are reading this, you know that we did leave. We embraced our inner adventurers. Call it what you will, we saw ourselves as footloose and fancy-free. The blog became a log of our discoveries, both geographical and cultural. I also began to write about my inner journey. I included some of the challenges we faced, like the time our mast broke. I also sometimes touched on the loneliness that crept up on us at times. As we travelled south, our readership expanded. People we met along the way began to read our stories. And then strangers did too. Anonymous readers wrote us asking questions or sending encouragement. I was no longer simply writing. At some point, this blog morphed into an exchange of ideas, experiences and philosophies.

Soaking in the city vibe
Lately, I’ve been wondering, what will I write about now? People expect adventures, anecdotes… How do I share my sense of wonder at the daily observations that come from staying put in one location? I won’t be travelling thousands of miles this coming year. What I’ll be doing, is journeying deeper into one country that is foreign to me. This is an opportunity. And I want to write about that while also taking the time to reflect on the lessons we’ve learned on the way here. 

Fiji and the Western South Pacific await, but this time when the grand exodus begins in April, we will be among those waving goodbye to the yachts sailing over the horizon. Soon after, we'll dig out our woolies and brace ourselves for our first winter in 3 years. And maybe, just maybe, I will have a story or two to tell.

Exploring the vicinity with friends we met thousands of
nautical miles away (with Barbera from SV Landfall)

7 comments:

  1. Im guessing you're staying put to build up the cruising kitty again, or you're enjoying the normalcy of staying put in one place for awhile.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the cruising kitty... and replacing the mainsail, and... yeah. We need cash.

      Delete
  2. Hi you two, Congratulations on everything you have accomplished so far... and best of luck on your upcoming explorations... It sounds like you've got some more wonderful times ahead of you. All the best. Carolyn & Kathy (x-SV Shannon and on the hunt for a new boat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ! Great to hear from you! Good luck on your hunt for a new boat and give my best to Kathy.

      Delete
  3. I have been following your blog since you left Victoria. Sailing off in to the sunset has been my fantasy but will probably not be my reality. By sharing your experiences with me (us) in a way we get to live your experiences with you. Thanks to you, I have a bit of an idea what the sandy beaches, colourful corals, swaying palm trees and loneliness of the long distance passage are like. Please keep sharing your new experiences with your audience. I will keep sailing the San Juan and Gulf Islands and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments! We love hearing from readers, and while you may not go offshore, you're lucky, the PNW is amazing! We sailed there for 4 years and loved it so. Cheers, Kyra

      Delete
  4. You guys are great. Mexico is a little smaller with out you. We have been working this last year. The blog suffered a bit, but there is nothing like work to bring you into the "real" everyday life of the country you're in. I value our new friendships with the locals so much, I'm sure by the end of winter every one on the island will call you a friend.

    SV Moondance
    Conor + Lanea

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...