Monday, 11 November 2013

day 8: on adaptability and convenience

We left Minerva Reef over a week ago. It already feels like a distant memory. I'm glad we didn't do the trip in one go from Nuku'alofa. If you recall, I had initially wanted exactly that. Pausing there for a few days did us a world of good. I think one of the biggest adjustments in our attitudes that has come from cruising is adaptability. Don't get me wrong, we're no perfectionists, we still crave for things to happen when we want them to happen or how we want them to happen. Having said that, we know it pays off to wait a day or a week for better wind. We also learned it's worth taking the time to fix that problem even though we wanted to leave today. And when the forecast no longer looks good for when we'd planned to leave, we can change our minds at the drop of a hat and leave right away. Like I said, we adapt. It's great when you can let go of rigid expectations because disappointment stops dictating how your day develops.

Our society has taught us to expect things to happen at the blink of an eye. Everything, and I mean everything, is about convenience. I like a bit of convenience (remember my daydreaming about a washing machine?), yet over the past two years, convenience is no longer as high on the list as it once was. What I wonder is, will I go back to expecting everything to be just so after I spend a few months in New Zealand, a country where everything you need or could want is at your fingertips? How does one balance the values that have become so important while living the life of a bohemian, and transfer them to the more stable life of an expat in a first world country? Will I be able to go without Internet for stretches at a time, and will I continue to bake bread, watch the sunset, and the moonrise? I hope so, because those are the moments that are magical, whether I am travelling the oceans or living aboard in a new country.

I try and remember this as I feel jittery with anticipation at our arrival in Opua. We are only 187 nautical miles away. I can't wait for a bit of convenience, yet I dread it a little too. I want to embrace a simple life in what I consider to be an affluent country. I want to be okay with not having a car, but a bike would be nice. I may not buy books, but I look forward to going to the library. Convenience comes in many forms, I am okay with that. And if I have to work a little harder for it, that's okay too.

Position: 33* 12.569'S 176* 56.308'E
Distance as of 1200 NZST: 117 nm
Heading: 215*T
Speed: 5.7 knots

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think about adaptability and convenience, and it's true what you've said. Land living is so much easier and convenient in many ways, but lacks those special experiences a person gets that can make living more meaningful...at least to me. Some people do what your doing alone either because they can't find the right person to do it with, or they prefer doing it in complete solitude. To me it's really special when two people share a common dream, and decide to pursue that dream to its final conclusion. In the end when it comes time for us to leave this planet we've called home, I'm sure our final thoughts will include some analysis of how we lived our life.

    Don

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...