Tuesday, 2 April 2013

day 4 - i got this feeling

"Wind's picking up." I can't count how often I've been teased for saying that but... I can't help noticing slight shifts and noting them out loud, even if the wind is just going from 5 knots to 8 knots.

This morning, the air felt different and the waves were bigger, yet the barometer wasn't saying much. When the wind hit the 20 knot mark, we reefed the foresail some more at my request. Soon enough, the wind climbed to 26.5 knots. But we were ready.

I'm all about preventative action. Sometimes I'm overly cautious one might say, but I've helped us avoid mishaps too. I'm okay with being the more conservative sailor of the two. Rick has learned to value that in me too. We balance each other out, and that's good.

The skies are clearing some, we'll be making water today. Other than that, it's all routine: including dodging white water that splashes into the cockpit when waves hit the side of the boat just so. Not to brag, but I think I'm winning. I have photos of Rick drenched from head to toe to prove it.

Position: 18 27.150' N - 116 20.137' W
Distance in 24hrs: 144 nm
Heading: 238 T
Speed: 4.8

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I been following Tom and Jeanne of s/v Eagle ever since they left the PNW, and I have the same kind of sailboat they have. Reading their blog I learned about your new adventure to I assume will be Fatu Hiva, a trip I've always wanted to make too. I'll be living part of my life vicariously through you, so have enough fun for all of us. From what I have learned you're on the longest leg of your adventure through the south pacific, so stay calm, patient, and a little hobby or activity will help while away the time...if you have the time. I followed a single handler with a boat like mine on this same passage a couple of years ago, and I think it took him about three weeks. One thing I remembered him talking about was trying to sail as long as he could above the ITCZ before angling down south, as that would help make his passage quicker/easier, but I think that depends on exactly where the ITCZ is. He experienced some days of complete calm and interesting weather/thunder storms plunging through ITCZ, but nothing he seemed to have any problems with.

    Good sailing,
    Don Grass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it singlehanded from Cabo before
    Not that being singlehanded had anything to do with where one chooses to cross the ITCZ.
    Bottom line .... don't wait and get too far west. Once you punch thru the doldrums and its squalls....southeast winds await you. Got that,SOUTHeast. The further west one is the more that southeasterly is forward of the beam.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...