Saturday, 20 April 2013

day 22 - getting closer

The countdown has begun. It is likely we'll make landfall by Tuesday. Of course, there are no guarantees, but it's looking pretty good. The Southerly Trades are exactly what we'd hoped: a decent breeze and comfortable seas (nothing like the washing machine waters of the Northerly Trades). We are making good progress.

This is when "being in the moment" becomes a little more challenging. The closer to our goal we get, the harder it is. I would be lying if I said I wasn't ready to set foot on solid ground.

I love sailing, especially in ideal conditions like these. But I have dreamt of these islands for a long time. Originally, Mexico was a stepping stone - somewhere we could learn the art of being a full-time voyagers... We ended up falling in love with the country as well.

But the lure of the South Pacific remained strong, and it pulled us away. We are nearly there. Can you blame me for feeling slightly impatient?

Position: 04* 40.008' S 135* 55.174' W
Distance: 135 nm
Heading: 215* T
Speed: 5.7 knots

1 comment:

  1. I did a 24 1/2 day passage once, and I can attest it becomes an endurance test. In my case there were three of us which makes watches easier, but there was no auto-pilot or self steering. No dodger or bimini for weather protection, no refrigeration, no engine, no way to make water, no solar...strickly bare bones sailing. Even though you have those advantages, three weeks is a long time in a small boat.

    Don

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...