Monday, 8 April 2013

day 10 - tidbits

We had an unwelcome visitor yesterday morning. I was sitting in the salon, and looked up at the companionway when I heard a loud boom, only to see a large wave explode right into the cabin, soaking the starboard quarterbeth and part of the oven. Holy cow. It's a good thing that the sea berth is on the port side, Rick would have had the shock of his life. Cleaning up saltwater is not super effective without loads of fresh water, so now everything will be a little saltier, damper for the duration of this journey. I guess the bottom flap was not enough to keep that wave out...

It has been 40 hours since we gybed*, the motion aboard is a little different: we now bounce off the galley counter instead of flying across the cabin. Oh, who am I kidding, we still occasionally fly too. The night before last we were digging around our bilge clearing a clog so our bilge pump could run effectively once again, not a fun job to do in the semi-darkness, but a necessary one. The pump is happy once again, and the crew is happy too, especially after catching up on its sleep.

These past few mornings, we've been collecting flying fish who have been meeting their demise on Nyon's deck. Remember the scene in Life of Pi? Well, it's not like that. Our record is 9 fishes in one morning. I feel sad for those fishes, after seeing schools of them flying and leaping about, to have the only stupid boat in hundreds of miles get in the way one fateful night.

We are nearing the halfway mark, having traveled 1200 nautical miles so far. We have 1545 miles to go. Right now, it feels like there is no beginning or ending, it is as though we are suspended in time.

*To gybe: when the wind crosses astern as you turn and haul the sail to the other side, (if you're passing the bow through the wind, the same process would be called tacking.)

Position: 11* 57.509' N 125* 56.700' W
Distance: 125 nm
Heading: 212* T
Speed: 5.2 knots

1 comment:

  1. Did you know Flying Fish are good to eat.

    I was on a long passage once where a wave broke through a large window on the Trimaran, and lots of our clothes and a berth got soaked. It took days of nice weather to get those things dried out. After awhile we didn't have any thing that was dry, so we would wear them damp and in about six hours they would be dry from our body heat.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...