Thursday, 17 January 2013

pressing the pause button

I know a few people who'll be surprised by
this photo... Kyra using a sewing machine - 
You do what you gotta do.
How has your 2013 been so far? Ours began in a whirlwind. A whirlwind of information overload, jubilations, decisions, even the flu had a part. You name it, it seems to have already happened.

Our focus when we returned to La Paz after our festive 2 -weeks away, was to inform our loved ones of our decision to sail from Mexico to the South Pacific – we’ve received mixed responses: From no response at all to heartfelt encouragement. Our To-do lists grow and shrink daily: We cross an incredible amount off, but new things to do or acquire lengthen the list all over again. For someone who has spent comparatively little time on the Internet this past year – I feel like a zombie from all the online research I’ve been doing these past two weeks. (I’ll admit I get distracted by participating in boating discussions, reading blogs and catching up with people by e-mail.) I’ve been a little jittery, unable to focus, and falling through on trying to connect with people I really want to connect with because I’m busy finding out where I can get that missing courtesy flag, this paperwork done, these vaccines boosted, the right insurance for the crossing, all this while organizing a trip to San Diego and ordering boat parts I’ll be picking up there. 

Funny how all the small ignored projects are
finally getting done when you know you'll be 
crossing a vast ocean...
Once again, we left La Paz a few days ago. We didn’t go far, just far enough to leave the busy anchorage and the chatter on channel 22 behind so we could focus on boat jobs with no distractions. We even had internet – until it unexpectedly ran out. And I’ll admit, I was relieved to be out of touch for over 24 hours. I realized that I was beginning to lose what I’d gained by removing myself from being constantly dialed into the rest of the world. I’m not sure how to explain it, but simply put, I’d been missing the “empty space”. 

When I remind myself to slow down, breathe deeply for a few minutes, everything rights itself again. I don’t have to live like I’m riding a runaway train. (That's why I went on this voyage in the first place!) I set the pace. I decide what’s important. I can take a break. I can make time to take care of my aching body. Yoga, meditation, quiet conversations with Rick, walks with a friend. Those keep me centered. Yes, I need to be prepared for our South Pacific crossing, but self-care is most certainly a part of that.


Having said all this, I’m not half as overwhelmed and stressed as I was before we left Canada. This  step in our voyage is different, for both of us. We are not frightened by what we are about to do. Sure, we're a little nervous. Mostly, we’re excited and giddy. As I go through our First Aid kit today, and make a list of what we need to replenish, I will pause for a moment, take a deep breath, and smile. This too, is my life.

The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. 
Marcel Proust

5 comments:

  1. SO happy for you two .... just keep sailing, happily, safely, and lovingly! (And keep blogging about it so the rest of us know you're okay...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M! We'll endeavour to keep blogging! :) Hope you two are doing well up there!

      Delete
  2. The South Pacific .. how exciting! We look forward to hearing about your new adventures, and LOVE the quote above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a sucker for good quotes - I found that one to be very true... I'm super excited about the South Pacific!

      Delete
  3. Well said, Kyra. Glad you and Rick are taking time out for yourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...