Tuesday, 11 September 2012

through the magnifying glass


They are everywhere, these little bursts
of yellow fluttering about
I’m a book nut. And I certainly know my way around a bookstore. 

I’ve noticed that the bargain tables always seem to have a copy of an appropriately pocket-sized book called Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff. While I have not actually read this book, the title alone seems to be good advice. For my part, I like putting a positive spin on that concept. Instead of not sweating trivial frustrations, I look for the surprisingly blissful little bits and pieces scattered throughout any given day: The more ordinary and mundane, the better. It’s the appreciation of these that can change a lousy day into a pleasant day.

In our life as voyagers, little pleasures come in many shades: It can be that first sip of coffee in the morning, while listening to a favourable forecast on the SSB radio, or when the wind is just so, and we quietly sail off the hook; it might be rediscovering the smell of freshly baked bread after months of intense heat, or that moment when my body breaks through the cool water’s surface after diving off a sizzling deck. It’s the joys of impromptu gatherings that bring merriment to our cockpit or when we have reached across cultures and laughed at our differences.

A quiet morning in Las Rocas
Yes, there are days when it’s harder to find those highpoints. It’s easy to feel dejected when a boat project drags us down with obstacle after obstacle. Gritting our teeth when the wind shoots up to 40 knots at 2 a.m. is the accepted response. Be that as it may, I still try to focus on something that will make us feel better: It may be as simple as a visiting friend who might not do much to help with a project, but whose fresh perspective allows us to step back from our frustration, or the awe-inspiring sights and sounds of the remnants of a storm by moonlight, once we know we’re safe.

Gratitude can go a long way. There have been times when merely laying my head on the pillow at the end of a long, hard day was pure bliss. And for that, I was, and am, grateful.

10 comments:

  1. Nice post! I just posted one similar this morning about just why the cruising life is a less stressful existence then our previous lives in the U.S. I will add a link to your article for some extra perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Enjoying catching up on your blog now that we've (temporarily) reentered civilization after a month and a half in the Sea

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, vibrant butterfly! Staying positive is the way to go:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said! And good advice, too. :)
    Hugs from Bella Star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bella Star! Loved your posts on Golfito - sounds great down there... Hugs - K

      Delete
  4. My lovely wife reminds me to slow down and be grateful often enough......she's much wiser than me!! You are on the money with your post.

    I've been reading you long enough and enjoy your blog very much. We chartered in the Sea this Spring and traveled from La Paz to Loreto and back again. What a wonderful area you are in!

    Keep up the good work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratitude goes a long way doesn't it - thanks for the positive feedback - I enjoy writing and it's great to know you're enjoying reading about our adventures - best, Kyra

      Delete
  5. Ok, you two.... where are you and what's going on? It's been over a month since you posted... give us an update, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there - you'll be pleased to know I'm finally catching up on blog posts - a whack of 'em are coming your way! Cheers and say hi to Michael for us! The Nyoners

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...