Tuesday, 12 June 2012

in limbo, in paradise


On the way to Ballandra
Clear waters, desert landscape

Sometimes you just need somewhere to hide out. Ballandra, that’s pronounced Ba-yan-dra, is a large, well-protected anchorage on Isla Carmen. It’s a lovely place to hang out for a while. We certainly were in no hurry to leave.

I was laying low, recovering from my AS flare, by floating in the water and generally taking it easy. While I was happy that Rick had an able-bodied buddy to go snorkelling and fishing with; I hate to admit I was feeling a little sorry for myself. My mobility was limited, and my brain was over-active, what can I say.

"Let me tell you about the
one that got away..."
Rick returning from an evening
of fishing with John
Rick, the recent fishing enthusiast, taught me how to cast with John’s fishing pole. It was fun until I accidentally caught a porcupine fish. I was so distraught, I had to go in the cabin while Rick freed it and sent it back in the water. Yep, I’m a wimp. The thing is, I have a soft spot for porcupine fish, (and yes, I’m fully aware of the irony here). But they’re cute, what with their big cartoon eyes and mouths… Then again, I do like fish on my plate, the eating kind. I’m just not as attached to sea bass. Oh, the double-standard. While Rick has caught a few fish now, it’s usually when he’s off fishing with John from SV Time Piece. I’m starting to think that John is his good luck charm.

Ballandra is worth revisiting, which we will, after another quick stop in Loreto. And this time, I'll be part of the action gosh darn it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...