Tuesday, 13 March 2012

art is in the eye of the beholder

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.  - Georgia O'Keeffe

Art is a big part of my life. After all, I am an artist. I also am an appreciator. I like many art styles. I tend to be drawn in by interesting uses of colour and composition. I love anything by Matisse, Chagall, and Klimt, to contemporary artists such as Jylian Gustlin and Ken Flett. And yes, I like graffiti art too. Mazatlan seemed to exhibit more graffiti then we'd seen anywhere else in Mexico. We loved finding unexpected eyes looking at us as we came around a corner, or discovering an arched whale between two windows.Whether it's on a crumbling stone wall or on a framed canvas, I take the time to really absorb the art I'm looking at. To you it may not be art, but to me, graffiti is a dash of colour that brightens my world.

On our scenic route to the Port Captain's in Mazatlan
(The scenic route was not by choice, we tend to lose our focus...)

After our first day, we kinda liked the juxtaposition of the Beetle
and the apple elephant. (We once owned a '68 Beetle named Betsy)

My favourite

Rick's favourite

We pondered in front of  this one for a while

This is obviously not graffiti, but I took a lot of
pictures like it. It's visually interesting to me

A doodle with a lovely expression

2 comments:

  1. This graffiti is definitely art in my opinion ... nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat. So many different types of art. How people get so good with a spray can i'll never know.

    When do we get to see more of your current Art?
    Dani

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...