|Provisioning means washing|
and bagging all the produce too...
Nyon is now back to normal. If you can call Rick and I normal. At first, it felt quiet and roomy aboard our trusty old boat. That feeling went away rather quickly, especially after Rick pulled up the sole and started in on his boat projects. We had the excuse of visiting friends for turning a blind eye to many awaiting boat jobs. We are now playing catch up, at a mellow pace. It's nice to be back to a semblance of a routine, in spite of missing our peeps. Puttering is enjoyable, as is planning our journey to Costalegre (The "Happy Coast"). It refers to the stretch of Mexican coast between Banderas Bay and Manzanillo.
|One of our many canine friends|
Now, we're ready for boring. Or at least, a not-so-full schedule. On Nyon, that means: Working on projects, sailing, exploring, swimming and snorkelling, getting some art work done, writing, more boat projects, and meeting other voyagers as well as locals. Boring sounds pretty good too.
Banderas Bay Highlights:* cerveza - beer
- Favourite Taco Stand: We love La Silla Roja for its quesadillas. (La Cruz de Huanacaxtle)
- Favourite hike: The waterfall outside of Yelapa. Not the one nearby, the one you reach by going through ranchero lands.
- Favourite beach: The "secret beach" between La Cruz and Punta de Mita. (We also loved the beach in Chacala, but it's not in Banderas Bay...)
- Favourite town: Yelapa
- Favourite uninhabited spot: Isla Larga (Las Tres Mariettas)
- Favourite restaurant: Its a 3-way tie. Brisas in Yelapa. (And not just because we got a free panga ride to shore, Ali is still drooling for their ceviche!) Yolanda's, also in Yelapa. Amazing quesadillas! Dana dreams of them from snowy Victoria. Claudia's in La Cruz also serves delicious goodness. The adobada and the camarón burros were our favourites.*
- Favourite food at the La Cruz Sunday Market: Sweet pecans, and cilantro hummus. Mmm...
- Best moments: There are too many to choose from! I'd have to say skinny dipping at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. Bio-luminescents were trailing in the water behind us, while we watched fireworks on land. Jeff would add our leisurely (3 hour!) morning coffee routine, as we chatted about our plans for the day. I'd have to agree!
- Best surprise: Unexpectedly meeting my newest nephew and getting a family fix with my brother in Bucerias.
- Best pie at Pie in the Sky (Bucerias): Mango pie, hands down.
- Favourite sighting: The breaching humpback whale 50 feet off our stern.
- Favourite find at the local tienda*: Coconut ice cream bars from the depths of the freezer, buried beneath the bags of frozen strawberries. I would add to that, the bags of hibiscus flowers - the main ingredient in aqua de jamaica.
adobada - marinated pork
camarón - shrimp
tienda - store