Thursday, 6 January 2011

off into the sunset


This is the year we take the next step in our life as sailors. Or rather, the BIG step.

After three years of being liveaboards in the Pacific Northwest, and as the ongoing refit of Nyon continues, we are coming closer to our goal. We plan on leaving Canadian shores this coming September 2011. Destination: South.

The to-do lists are long. Yes, there are many to do-lists: Legal, medical, boat projects, voyage planning, etc. Our nerves are a little jittery. (Well, I can only speak for myself here.) Above all, we are excited!

Some of our family and friends are scared for us. Some are thrilled. When my dad joined us on the boat two years ago, he told us in no uncertain terms. "I completely understand why you are doing this!" That was after a one-day sail! The adventurous spirit is afterall in his blood.  He dragged my mother and his four children, including me, on a 10-day Atlantic crossing to immigrate to Canada.



When you have a big dream, you have to believe you can make it happen and work hard to get there. Having said that, it is encouraging when your loved ones are enthusiastic and excited for you! My mother took quite a while to get comfortable with our "crazy" idea. I have to say I was very touched when I recently received this letter from her:

I want to say to both of you how proud I am of you: that you both had the courage to realize your  dream! Not everyone could just completely change their lives like you did. It takes endurance and strength and above all, hard work and a lot of sacrifices. But you both love this life [...]

We belong to BCA, which stands for the Bluewater Cruising Association. It is a fabulous organization that supports our dream of going offshore and is an amazing resource for dreamers like us.  It has turned our dream into a feasable undertaking: Being surrounded by people who have gone offshore, who dream of it like us, or who are out there as I write this.

But first, let's look at that Master To-Do List.
Deep breath... Here we go!


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you!! Love the note from your Ma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsay, it is beginning to feel real!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...