Tuesday, 26 May 2009

the joys of wood

Indeed, the work continues - what I enjoy about doing brightwork, is that the improvements are quickly evident; that gives me a sense of accomplishment and keeps me going!


Sealing the wood with Epoxy.
First of three layers.



Mended corner.

Yes, that round hole is
supposed to be there.
It's for the Speed Log Gauge.
(Speed of the boat over water.)

Cause for celebration:
No More Leak in the Corner!!
That should make our
overnight guests happy!


Epoxy Stage is done.
(For the cabin sides that is.)

Next: Varnish

We did make time for play too, and headed to the BCA May Rendez-Vous on Pender Island, on the May Long Weekend. What happens when you get a bunch of sailors together? Well, pirates show up, a scavenger hunt ensues, drinks in the cockpit, shared meals and stories, lots of good stories. The sail home was great fun. Yep, good times.


Light winds on the way
to Pender Island.
We flew our Gennaker.
Isn't it pretty?



This pirate didn't look too
dangerous.

Tuesday, 5 May 2009

busy bodies

Most sailors have a long list of "boat jobs". At the first sign of spring, our marina becomes a little beehive of activity. Many jobs rely on sunny days and warmer weather. Everyone has some project on the go and the air is filled with excitement.

This sometimes makes it hard to get any work done, because boaters love to check out what the other "guy" is working on. Usually, lengthy and passionate discussions ensue. Everyone has an opinion about the particular job you're tackling, and you muddle your way through to your own opinion, after having weighed 20 different options. In spite of all this, the work does get done, as long as the weather cooperates. It did for a couple of days last week, and now we're holding our breaths for more sunshine predicted this coming weekend.

So what is our next job? It includes the following: fixing cracks on deck and painting said deck. Doing repairs on the cabin sides (we have issues with rot/damage in three corners.) And last but not least, brightwork, brightwork, brightwork!! (Toe rail, cabin sides, cockpit, tiller, etc etc) That in particular, is my pet project. Rick is the king of "scarfing". We have our work cut out for us.



Here, Rick is prepping this cabin corner in order to scarf a new piece of wood where there was rot. I have begun scraping and sanding the cabin sides. Note the warm reddish tones that are reappearing. I can't wait to see the new shiny brightwork... But I'll have to. Once finished sanding, I will need to apply many layers of epoxy (with special UV protection). That will be followed by a minimum of 3 layers of varnish.




Check twice, cut once. Not having a proper woodworking shop is challenging at times. Rick is a good sport about it.












What a mess! We had to remove the dodger; the tarp is to try and keep some of the rain off while we work on the cabin sides,(as it finds all sorts of ways into the cabin!







A forced break from sanding and scraping.Bailer decided it was time for a cuddle.








Chipping away at a "can of worms". Lots of rot in this corner, but once fixed, no more leak!! (Theoretically).








Here I'm using a laminate trimmer to sand old varnish out of tricky areas. So that's what is at the top of our list right now. Did I mention the list is 5 pages long?


One baby step at a time.

the cabin: before and after

Before I write about the projects we are working on now... I am including pictures as a reminder of the work we've done in the cabin over the past two years, (among other big projects). It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the work involved in the refit of a 50 year old boat, let alone the maintenance. These two photos cheer me up when I feel like the mountain of work is too much.



This is a photo that Rick took
when he went to check out Nyon
for the first time.

You can see the condensation overhead, as the boat had sat neglected for close to a year. The original bronze portlights were painted, the whole cabin needed a fresh coat of paint. Starboard, you can see the old counter, with the old single sink. There was no oven. There were hand pumps in the galley and head, which we switched to foot pumps. The wiring was completely redone. (Read about it here). And the list goes on. And on.

When Rick took me to see the boat for the first time, (to see if I felt it was the boat for us), I wondered just how much work it would take to turn this boat into our home. (Little did we know.) But the feeling of excitement was predominant. We both just knew this was going to be "our" boat.



The cabin today.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...